Accessibility Tools

  • Content scaling 100%
  • Font size 100%
  • Line height 100%
  • Letter spacing 100%


  • Share
Accommodation: view of residential street.

It can be tricky to figure out what type of housing will best suit your individual needs. Below are some examples of housing options and support services available in Australia.


Depending on your individual circumstances, renting can be a good way to access temporary or permanent accommodation. Websites like Domain and allow you to set a budget and search for accommodation by type and location.

Living alone is not a realistic option for everyone. Looking for a room in a share-house can be a less costly alternative and a great way to meet new people. Popular housemate services include, Flatmate Finders, Sharehouses and Gumtree. There are also numerous Facebook groups– such as Fairy Floss Real Estate in Melbourne – which can link you to others people seeking housemates. University and workplace notice boards can also be a good place to find rooms for rent.

Social housing

The Australian Government offers a number of rental schemes to help people living on low-to-moderate income find suitable housing. To qualify, you will need to demonstrate that your income meets the requirements outlined by the agency offering the service.

Below are links to relevant housing bodies in each state and territory:

The National Rental Affordability Scheme

If you do not meet the requirements for public or community housing, but you are living on an income low enough to prevent you from accessing other forms of housing, you may be eligible to rent at a reduced rate through The National Rental Affordability Scheme.

Information about the eligibility criteria, application process, and available properties under this scheme in each state and territory can be found online here.

Emergency housing

If you are currently experiencing, or are at risk of experiencing, homelessness and need to access information and/or a referral for emergency housing, please contact the relevant agency for your state or territory listed below:

  • ACT:
    OneLink – call 1800 176 468
  • NSW:
    Link2Home Homelessness Information Line – call 1800 152 152
  • NT:
    Shelter Me
  • QLD:
    Homelessness Hotline – call 1800 474 753
  • SA:
    Homeless Connect SAcall 1800-003-308
  • TAS:
    Housing Connect – call 1800 800 588
  • VIC:
    Housing crisis contact – call 1800 825 955
  • WA:
    Homeless Advisory Service – call 1800 065 892 during office hours or 1800 199 008 for after hours assistance.
Last updated: 1 June 2021

Stay in touch

Never miss an important update from SANE.

Please let us know your first name.
Please let us know your last name.
Please let us know your email address.

Please select at least one newsletter