SANE Australia is delivering a final round of capacity building workshops exploring mental illness and suicide prevention.
Over 1,200 health professionals have participated in the workshop, with over 90% rating it as relevant and of high quality.
One participant said,
'I feel more confident and my practice has been strengthened by understanding more about people's lived experience.'
About the workshop
The six-hour workshop builds on SANE’s Suicide Prevention and Recovery Guide encourages health professionals to reflect on their role in suicide prevention and how they support people who are suicidal, respond to those bereaved, work with families and put the consumer at the centre of care.
The interactive program builds confidence, explores recovery principles and unpacks obstacles many health professions experience.
- To increase awareness of suicide and mental illness, and reflect on barriers to working with suicidal clients.
- To explore how you can better support the recovery of people experiencing suicidal thoughts and behaviours.
- To understand the needs of bereaved families and friends, and the challenges of supporting this group.
Who should attend?
Mental health workers: case-workers, nurses, psychologists, psychiatrists, occupational therapists, counsellors, peer-workers, social workers, youth workers and students.
Continued professional development
This course is registered by the College of Mental Health Nurses and the Australian Association of Social Workers. Other health professionals may claim the time spent at the workshop as self-directed continued professional development.
Refer to your peak professional body CPD guidelines.
All attendees receive a certificate of completion.
Free of charge for people working in the South Eastern Melbourne Primary Health Network catchment. (Check your eligibility by entering your workplace’s postcode in this PHN Locator).
For all others, registration is being offered at a discounted rate of $190 per person (excl GST).
2018 workshop dates in Melbourne
- Monday, August 20 – Southbank
- Monday, August 27 – Dandenong
- Monday, September 17 – Hampton
- Thursday, September 20 – Frankston