This six-hour workshop builds on SANE’s Suicide Prevention and Recovery Guide to help health professionals reflect on suicide prevention in a recovery-oriented framework.
People experiencing mental health difficulties are at increased risk of suicide. Working with a suicidal client can be confronting, even for experienced mental health professionals. Knowing how to foster a sense of recovery while talking about suicide is essential, even in times of crisis.
This dynamic, interactive program includes group discussions, case studies and activities that address:
- Obstacles to supporting people experiencing suicidality
- Support for people bereaved by suicide
- Recovery principles such as working with families and consumer-centred care, even when risk is involved.
- To increase awareness of suicide and mental illness, and reflect on barriers to working with suicidal clients.
- To explore how you can better support the recovery of people experiencing suicidal thoughts and behaviours.
- To understand the needs of bereaved families and friends, and the challenges of supporting this group.
Who should attend?
Mental health workers: case-workers, nurses, psychologists, psychiatrists, occupational therapists, counsellors, peer-workers, social workers, youth workers and students.
Continued professional development
This course is registered by the College of Mental Health Nurses and the Australian Association of Social Workers. Other health professionals may claim the time spent at the workshop as self-directed continued professional development.
Refer to your peak professional body CPD guidelines.
All attendees receive a certificate of completion.
For people working in the South East Primary Health Network region, the workshop is free of charge. (Check your eligibility by entering your workplace’s postcode in this PHN Locator).
For all others, registration is being offered at a discounted rate of $190 per person (inc GST).
2018 workshop dates in Melbourne
- Thursday February 8 – Mornington
- Tuesday February 20 – Pakenham
- Thursday March 1 – Dandenong
- Tuesday March 20 – Heatherton
- Monday March 26 – Southbank