The SANE Help Centre provides information, support and referrals to help adults living with a mental illness and all those involved in their care. We focus on complex mental illnesses but appreciate that all mental health concerns can be complex depending on their impact.
You can reach our team of mental health professionals via phone, email or web chat from 10am to 10pm Monday to Friday AEST.
What you can expect from us:
- We will listen respectfully and provide a safe and supportive space no matter your gender, culture, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation
- We will ask questions to help us better understand your situation and how we can help
- We will help you identify your own, or a loved ones, existing strengths and resources
- We may suggest places to get additional support or treatment within your community
- We may offer some ideas as to how you can better support yourself or a loved one
- We will keep your information confidential unless there are genuine concerns for your safety or the safety of someone around you
- If you are a regular user of our service, we may keep some information about your contact with us so that we can be as helpful as possible
- We will be transparent with you if we think there is another service better suited to your needs
- We will work with the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) if you are more comfortable speaking in a language other than English. If this is the case, call 131 450 and ask to speak with the SANE Help Centre on 1800 187 263 in your preferred language.
We are a small team which means that there may be times where we cannot answer your call immediately. If you leave a message, we will call you back as soon as we can. There are also times when web chat is busy (offline) and so we encourage you to try again later or email us with your concern. We do our best to answer emails within three business days.
The Help Centre is not seeking to replace face-to-face therapy but to provide additional information and support your recovery. We welcome ongoing contact but please be aware that we are unable to provide services more frequently than once a week.
The SANE Help Centre is not a crisis service so please call Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call-back Service (1300 659 467) for support if you are feeling suicidal. In an emergency, please dial 000.