This policy is designed to:
- Frame SANE Australia’s stance on working with pharmaceutical companies; and
- Outline the use of contributions received by pharmaceutical companies.
- SANE Australia will remain independent of the actions and views expressed by pharmaceutical companies. In line with SANE’s values, where there is disagreement we welcome robust and constructive discussion.
- SANE is committed to providing the best possible information about a wide range of medical and non-medical evidenced-based treatments.
- SANE is committed to promoting non-pharma based treatments where treatment is effective in advancing the wellbeing of people living with complex mental illness.
- SANE will advocate to ensure that people with complex mental illness have affordable access to effective medications and treatments.
- SANE is committed to improving the physical health of people living with mental illness and promoting longer lives.
- SANE may work with and accept financial contributions from pharmaceutical pompanies. Any contributions received may be used to support the general running of SANE’s day-to-day activities or be tied to specific projects or resources.
- Contributions may be given as part of a partnership with a pharmaceutical company or be direct provision of funds without a formal partnership arrangement.
- SANE will publicly acknowledge the financial support it receives from any pharmaceutical company in relation to general contributions, activities, travel or resources.
- SANE will have complete control over the educational content of any activities or resources funded by pharmaceutical companies.
- SANE does not and will not recommend, prescribe, dispense, promote, purchase or arrange for the use of medications associated with a pharmaceutical company in any information materials, content, media promotions, forums activities, SANE Help Centre or any other communications.
- SANE will not enter into any confidentiality agreement with any pharmaceutical company, except where SANE’s participation in an advisory capacity to a pharmaceutical company requires a confidentiality agreementto preserve commercial in confidence information.
- SANE will not provide comment for any pharmaceutical company media release.
- SANE staff will consider invitations to attend pharmaceutical company sponsored conferences, meetings and events on the basis that these meetings are a source of information relevant to SANE’s work for people with lived experience. SANE participation at meetings will be reviewed on merit. Our attendance will not be linked to any expectation that SANE will promote the products being discussed.
- Any pharmaceutical company wishing to acknowledge SANE’s involvement in the development of patient materials or the conduct of research or use the SANE logo must first obtain written permission from SANE. Any written permission provided by SANE will be valid only for the particular activity for which it was requested.
- SANE’s logo cannot be used on any pharmaceutical company product or product information.
Janssen is a major partner of the SANE Peer Ambassador Program and an occasional partner of the Parliamentary Friends of Mental Illness (PFMI) group. Lundbeck and Servier are also occasional partners of the PFMI. In the financial year ended 30 June 2018 less than 2% of SANE’s funding was sourced from pharmaceutical companies.