The Hocking Fellowship provides an opportunity for Australians to undertake a study tour in an area of interest that advances the public understanding of complex mental illness, improves treatment, support and the wellbeing of people affected by mental illness, and contributes to stigma reduction.
The Fellowship honours Barbara Hocking OAM (Executive Director of SANE Australia 1995-2012) who worked tirelessly to improve the wellbeing of all Australians affected by mental illness.
Applications for the fellowship have closed. Winners will be announced in late May 2017.
Can I apply?
Applications are open to all Australian citizens or permanent residents who are active in the field of mental health. This includes people living with mental illness, carers and mental health professionals.
What the Fellowship offers
Fellows receive a grant of up to AU$20,000 to undertake a study tour in Australia or overseas to visit other mental health organisations, exchange information and learn from their experiences. The grant is for one year.
Areas of interest include (but are not limited to):
- stigma reduction
- digital mental health
- workplace mental health
- alternative approaches to managing mental health and wellbeing (such as mindfulness or Open Dialogue)
- trauma and mental illness.
The grant covers travel, accommodation and associated costs.
The Fellowship is not intended for the purpose of clinical research.
What do I need to deliver?
A report should be presented to SANE Australia, including how findings will be disseminated and what action will be taken on what has been learned.
- Initial itinerary, timeline and budget
- Interim update on progress
- Final written report on findings (to be delivered within one month of completion of the Fellowship)
- Contribute to a range of promotional activities such as writing articles for publication on the SANE website, doing media interviews, promoting project findings and speaking at events
How are projects selected?
- Applications will be read by a selection panel comprising, SANE CEO, Board members and SANE Speakers.
- Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for further information (if required).
- Referees will be contacted by selection panel, and applicants may also be interviewed.
- Successful applicants will be advised by phone. Unsuccessful applicants will by advised by email.
Successful applicants will be notified by the end of May 2017.
How do I apply?
Applications for the 2017 Fellowship have now closed. Follow SANE Australia on Facebook, or subscribe to SANE's mailing list to hear future announcements.
Need more information?